Greening an NHL Arena
|Facility||670,000 Square Feet|
|Control System||Johnson Controls|
|HVAC System||On-site Chiller Plant, Constant Volume Air Handling Units (AHU)|
Located in a major U.S. city, this 670,000 square foot arena is home to an NHL franchise and hosts a range of other events over the course of a year. A member of the Green Sport Alliance, this organization and its facility has a strong focus on sustainability and turned to SHIFT to help it make an immediate reduction in its carbon emissions while also cutting energy consumption and costs.
As an NHL arena, the facility had very strict demands for humidity, heating, and cooling to maintain high quality ice conditions. Any cuts to energy consumption and carbon emissions needed to ensure these exacting standards were maintained while also guaranteeing that visitors were comfortable.
As a major arena, it relies on several energy systems including an on-site chiller plant. The facility’s Building Automation System was provided by Johnson Controls. Working with the arena’s Operations team, SHIFT’s solution was quickly deployed and began making an immediate impact.
- Optimized thermal energy storage to maintain chiller plant efficiency
- Leveraged EOS Smart Data for integration with event scheduling
- Reduce energy consumption by optimizing energy utilization
- A demand management module was implemented to optimize peak energy and demand charges using a chilled water storage system
- Seamlessly manage changing energy demands and event conditions of sports, concerts, and other events
- Ensure precise temperature and humidity controls for ice surface during NHL games
SHIFT’s combination of services and technology solutions was brought to bear on the challenge of cutting the arena’s energy consumption and carbon emissions. The SHIFT team worked closely with key people at the facility to quickly implement a solution that yielded measurable and immediate impact. The result was lower costs, pristine ice conditions and happy fans.
Results: Consumption and Emissions Impact
Electricity Consumption Savings
1,356,697 kWh per year
Electricity Demand Savings
7451 kW per year
Carbon Emissions Reduction
809 tCO2-eq per year
Automated consistent savings without operator intervention